Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I want a simple life. I want to appreciate the sound of rain, and eat tart apples in the fall. I want to garden on Saturdays, getting dark dirt under my fingernails and watering the lawn in long summer twilights. I want to look at stars, and I want to bundle up and go to the snow on a whim. I want to play basketball in the front yard, and draw chalk on the driveway, and take long drives down windy roads. I want to cry without fear, I want to dance to shake off a funky mood. I want to pick shapes out of clouds, lying in ticklish grass and squinting against sunshine. I want to smile a lot, looking into the interesting faces of my students, kids who have their own stories to tell. I want to hear those stories. I want a kitty who purrs on my lap, a tea kettle that whistles and a fireplace that burns bright all winter. I want to read good books, and think strange new thoughts, and journal in a comfy chair. I want to find spots along the river where I can be alone. I want to give baths to my babies, with their dimpled fingers and crooked teeth and sweet-smelling hair. I want to make pies, and make a big deal out of birthdays and Christmas. I want to drink ice tea on the porch, I want to make pillows out of lavender. I want to talk over red wine with friends on a week night. I want to take the dog on walks after dinner and I want to sing along to music in the car. I want to eat Chinese food on the floor, and I want to be sarcastic and wear my pajamas on a rainy day. I want to lug books around in my purse, and ride into cities on trains. I want to get dressed up for dinners and have candles in all the corners of my house. I want to sit on beaches and I want to chew fruity gum. I want to write stories that bring the characters in my head to life. I want to love fiercely and long.

No comments: