Thursday, September 20, 2012

Being Miss Miller

I absolutely loved my summer classes. Being a teacher never ceases to catch you off guard and make you smile. Here are some of my favorite moments from this summer:

Kaitlyn (2nd grader with big, blue earnest eyes): Miss Miller, would you like to know where fairies come from? They are butterflies! Butterflies are fairies dressed up. But guess what? You can't catch them and leave them in your room overnight. That's a bad idea.
Me: Really? How come?
Kaitlyn: They will turn into trolls and make your room all messy. (She was dead serious.)

* * *

Me (directed at two boys who started wrestling on the grass at break time): Boys, that's not the best idea to be wrestling right now. Someone will get hurt.
Daevey (3rd grader): But Miss Miller, I'm teaching Diego some ninja moves. I'm going to be a ninja in a few years, but unfortunately, there is not a training facility near my house. So I haveta practice and I need to practice with Diego right now, okay? (He was dead serious.)

* * *

Nick (1st grader, during break): Would you like to eat a snack too, Miss Callie?
Me: Oh don't worry, I will eat lunch after class. Thank you, Nick.
Nick: But you might get hungry! *brings me 2 Dorito chips from his bag and lays them on my desk*
Me: Wow, thank you for sharing, that's so sweet of you!
I then proceeded to get 3 purple skittles from Corrine, a licorice piece from Ben and a handful of fishy crackers from Tanya, all spread out on my desk. Every week after that, the kids who brought snacks for break time shared bits with me. It was the cutest thing ever.

* * *
Elyse (pre-K, with delicate pink cheeks, a tiny upturned nose, and brown pixie haircut): You are my most favorite teacher ever! *threads her little arms through my legs and hugs tight.*
Granted, she was only 4 years old and had never had a real teacher,  but I still like that I get to be the favorite:)

No comments: